Lions background for potential new players

An IC forum that our honoured guests have full access to, and visitors can read.
Marianne Wells
Aslan

Lions background for potential new players

Postby Marianne Wells » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:52 pm

After a bit of discussion on another thread, it was decided that we needed a quick OOC reference for people thinking of playing Lions in case they wanted to tie their character into the faction history, or just to know what they'd been up to IC for the last few years. This is the result:

------------------------------------------------------

Quick Lions History 101

While obviously we're not telling people what to play or what your character knows, the majority of Lions characters come from one (or more) of the lands the Lions have lived in. These are, in order, Albion, Avalon, and Lantia. This is intended to be a very rough guide to what a reasonably interested person would be likely to know about the history of the places they (or their faction) have lived in. I've tried to keep it fairly vague to make sure I don't include stuff which is hard to find out or which wouldn't be known by practically everyone. This is of course an ooc document, which is why it's not credited to any IC or OOC author. For the full - biased, mainly accurate, loudly argued - history, just ask around IC.

"At The Moment" is a section about what is the case right here and now which may restrict where your character comes from and what they did last week.
"I don't know anyone and want to join a group!" is a list of groups who are generally open to join, if you fancy it.
"Albion", "Avalon" and "Lantia" are, unsurprisingly enough, a vague history of events in those countries while the Lions were there. If you don't think your character would know these, don't feel you have to read them. We won't mind.

Welcome to the Lions!

=====x=====

At The Moment
-------------

- The inhabitants of the island of Cerephys are a xenophobic tribe who kill trespassers. It's safe to assume your character hasn't been there.
- The fae land Orst, which was connected to Lantia, has now merged in as part of Lantia and so the landscape has gone from small islands where everyone is within a day or so’s walk of a port or a circle, to huge unexplored lands where everything is miles from everywhere, and so it’s likely your character doesn’t know the whole island they live on.
- We have just defeated a load of elementals attacking the lands, so the only current background “threat” is random doppelgangers, who are likely to be confusing rather than threatening.

I don't know anyone and want to join a group!:
----------------------------------------------

- The Prince Bishop's men are one of the most recognisable units in LT and have been based in Durholme in Albion, New Durholme in Avalon, and now Gallathrix in Lantia. If you fancy joining, post below here or PM Obsidia Hyskus.
- The Celestial Knights are likewise open to one and all and are a group of travelling knights based on Tamerus. Post below, PM Russ Phillips or email Grandmaster@OrderofCelestial.org
- Armengar are the inhabitants of Amnor and are always very welcoming to newcomers and new players. Post below asking for Patrick Maher, or Fionualla Ni Raian.
- There are several other groups who are also very welcoming, I just don’t want to assume on their behalf. It’s also perfectly fine to turn up without a group or join one during the game.
- If anyone else wants their group listed, let me know.

=====x=====

Albion
---------

Albion was united as the nation of the Lions in the late 1080s under King Elias Karlennon (senior), and seemed to spend most of its time raiding the neighbouring countries of Caledonia and Cymria. Elias hosted the first ever Gathering of Nations, at which he was promptly murdered. Lord General Corvus Corvadae took over, though not immediately as king.

When he did declare himself as King, Elias' widow - Elspeth Karlennon - disputed Corvus' right to kingship. Half the Lions followed Corvus, while half followed Elspeth and declared themselves as an independent faction, the Harts. For a time the Harts ruled Southern Albion while the Lions had the Northern part, but this was unworkable and so there was an honour battle in 1096 to decide which faction would own Albion. The Lions lost and went in exile to the long-lost demiplane of Avalon. Their leaders at that time were King Corvus Corvadae, Jadvor Erland, Edmund L'Addernoir and Corvus' wife, Queen Roxanne Corvadae.

Avalon
---------

Avalon used to be connected to Erdreja a very long time ago, until the legendary King Arthur closed the paths between the planes about 500 years ago. Since that time, the Avalonians had been living entirely separately from Erdreja. They were not a very united people, largely because of the chaos demons stomping around everywhere and ruining everyone's fun. Generally people in an area would unite as a tribe, or based on location, or under a common banner or belief. The drow of Avalon are unconnected with the Tarantulas, and some areas had a patriarchal contingent. Avalon had a small coastline comparative to its size, so many people lived far inland. No unliving could exist in Avalon and any who went there were destroyed.

When the Lions arrived from Albion, the paths to Erdreja reopened and people could travel freely between them. Roxanne and Covus became demons, it’s not widely known how. They led the chaos demons of Avalon, now called the Ravenhost, against the faction until a barrier was raised in the place called Valinor Kai to trap them away from Avalon.

Opening the paths to Erdreja was then found to have the unfortunate side effect of also reopening paths to the Nosta Kar. The Nosta Kar (sometimes spelt Nosta Ka) were a gold skinned race who set about attacking and conquering Avalon. Though the Lions won many battles, notably at Eagg Isle, the Nosta Kar were famed for the atrocities they committed, for eating people and for their ability to point-to-point teleport large numbers of troops, and so it was a very hard struggle.
Prince Bishop Hatfield dropped the Valinor Kai barrier to try to get the Ravenhost to attack the NK, but even this wasn't enough and in 1100AF the Lions closed the paths to Avalon and headed for Erdreja on one small remaining portion of Avalon, known as Holy Isle. Seven heroes, called the Gateguard and led by King Rhino Kazad, remained behind for a time to try to hold the NK back. After the paths were closed Avalon was destroyed several times, most recently and most thoroughly by the Cataclysm, and now exists only as an ancestor and as a memory.

The Lions' leaders at that time were Rhino's wife Queen Sapphire Kazad, Prince Magnus Gallowglass of Lantia and Prince Ivan Shinoshi.

Lantia
------

Lantia is a ring of floating islands in the south of Erdreja which came to the surface when Holy Isle landed, causing a tidal wave and pinning one island underneath it. The Winter King, aka Mal the Dark One or the evil ancestor of Avalon, popped up and cursed Lantia with having the same kind of weather as Avalon, which is conveniently the same kind of weather as Britain and thus makes running events a bit easier. The islands recently changed geography (see below).

All the islands have an associated gemstone, ancestor-like being called a Drakken, Wonder (particularly nifty thing) and aspect (eg fortune, duty, war, etc) associated with them, and the metaphysical effects of this are hotly debated ic so don't worry about it. Just don't be surprised if someone refers to an island as "Ruby" or "Indifference" or somesuch instead of by its name. Each isle also had a mystical reflection called an Orst, with its own inhabitants. The ritual circles are called after the gemstones, so it’s also quite common to hear a ritualist swearing and trying to remember what jewel they’re aiming for.

During the last but one cataclysm, the Lantians foresaw that the islands would sink and so used a time-based ritual to freeze themselves in Time Chambers under each island and protect the Isles as they sank below the waves. However, when the Lions found them, they discovered that anyone was removed instantly aged the 500 or so years between then and now, and so most of the survivors remained within trapped. The Conclave blew all these up before we figured out how to get them out again just before the last Cataclysm. The islands recently changed geography as the Cataclysm had the side effect of merging Orst with the real world, thus making most islands many times the size they used to be. A lot of the land is still unexplored and a number of islands still don't have working ritual circles.

There used to be a sentiant race of aquatic beings called frithin living under the islands, but these all died a few years ago. There are subterranean humanoids known as Morlocks living underground in some islands, which are rarely seen but quite dangerous. The inhabitants of Orst are many different races including human, demon, orc, dwarf and several brands of fae, who may also attack unwary travellers in some areas. They have a parliament which used to have Lions in several key positions but due to recent deaths and Vincenzo leaving us for the Bards guild, the Lions currently don’t have any involvement. Time will tell if that’s a good thing or not.

There's also the island of Amnor, which had been near-isolated fighting against the Calebii (mainly human NPC nation) until the Lions turned up as their neighbours. The merge with Orst brought Amnor inside the Lantian ring of islands, so they’re one of us now.

After the Lions arrived in Lantia, a good number of enemies old and new formed a League to act against us for a time, but we sorted them out one by one. The most influential of these was Benedict Darkendale, a Lion who came back as unliving and with his unliving minions caused the deaths of many people until he was finally got rid of. Sadly before we got him he stirred up Xiv, the 14th Drakken of Lantia who then took several years to get shot of. We've recently seen off an attack by time elementals from Orst and are waiting for the next challenge.

The Lions' current leaders are Queen Lenia Con Argentos McConnell Navarre (live long enough and you’ll outlive a lot of husbands), Caileb Neverwinter and Nethaniel Huntingdon.

Updated 30/1/2013
Last edited by Marianne Wells on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pre-gath 06 - Robin Ashwine Sena R'Ios

Post-gath 06 - Iolanthe Swan
Viceroy to the Guilds

Marianne Wells
Aslan

Postby Marianne Wells » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 pm

Updated and bumped in line with recent discussions

Viceroy to the Guilds

Bitter
Aslan
Faction/Guild: Bards
IC Name: Vincenzo Sangrado

Postby Bitter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Marianne Wells wrote:Updated and bumped in line with recent discussions

If this is an OOC reference, shouldn't it be in the OOC forum?

Fionnuala Ni Riain
Aslan

Postby Fionnuala Ni Riain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Please note that the Armengar website (and all associated email addresses) is currently down (bah). Would-be Armengarians should post here or contact me on dorianegray@gmail.com. (No, I'm not the group leader - I'm the group leader's brain!)
Fionnuala of Armengar
(OOC: Dorian)

Marianne Wells
Aslan

Postby Marianne Wells » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 am

Bitter wrote:
Marianne Wells wrote:Updated and bumped in line with recent discussions

If this is an OOC reference, shouldn't it be in the OOC forum?

I think I put it here cos I was asked to, but I can't remember why. It was a while ago. If its wrong, I'm sure Russ will move it.

Viceroy to the Guilds

Pericles

Postby Pericles » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 am

Looking good.

I have a Guide book format that I use for other games. My thought was to start shaping things with that. Unfortunately September is a really busy month, so if you an bear with me till October, I'll then have somethig substantial to contribute.

I also have the Lions complete submission to the LT world book from ye olden times. There might be something useful in there, other than the Isle of Pokemon...;)

Pericles

Postby Pericles » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Okay, finally got a bit of time to look at this.

Marianne, there are a couple of errors in your overview. Are you alright with me editing the version on the Lions Faction website?

I've also compiled a booklet out of the information we've gathered thus far (in line with what I suggested before). Ideally, I'd like to post a draft up here and get some comments, then produce something for the main events this year that players can leaf through. I'd like to use the stuff we alrady have on the website and here, if that's okay?

Marianne Wells
Aslan

Postby Marianne Wells » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Pericles wrote:Marianne, there are a couple of errors in your overview. Are you alright with me editing the version on the Lions Faction website?

Given that I carefully checked the facts myself and then ran it past several folks who thought it was right, specifically including yourself, I'm assuming you mean updates rather than corrections? Or if you've found out more details about the faction's history I'm always interested, both IC and OOC.
I'd appreciate you letting me know what you think would be best if it was changed first - I'm just wary of having a document that's known as my work being changed without me knowing what I'm "putting my name" to.
Last edited by Marianne Wells on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viceroy to the Guilds

Pericles

Postby Pericles » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Marianne,

Absolutely, wouldn't dream of sending out anything without you getting to read it all first and us throwing it back and forth a bit.
Apologies, the corrections were typoes and yes I have some extra information on a few of the areas you've covered. I'll email the draft as soon as I have finished it.

Pericles

Postby Pericles » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:42 am

Booklet sent Marianne.

ravenfire
Aslan
Faction/Guild: Lions Faction
Group: Children of Malar / Old Erin Boys / Darkendales
IC Location: Castle Darkendale / Unknown
IC Name: Ravenfire 'Melursus' Darkendale

Postby ravenfire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:46 am

Marianne Wells wrote:The Lion Guard are the unit dedicated to IC camp security at main events and are always happy to take on new people. Post below, PM Phoenix or try Phoenix_blaze77(at)hotmail.co.uk

I don't think this bit is correct anymore, as Alrisha is gone and I don't think Nikki is getting involved in the gate guard with her new character.
Lifemaster Ravenfire Darkendale.
Melursus, Prey Huntmaster of Malar.
Old Erin Boy.

Wavesinger.
Sirene of Duty.
Lions Ambassador to the Tarantulas.

OOC - Sarah. One of that mad Irish lot.

Dave_Glen
Aslan

Postby Dave_Glen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 pm

ravenfire wrote:
Marianne Wells wrote:The Lion Guard are the unit dedicated to IC camp security at main events and are always happy to take on new people. Post below, PM Phoenix or try Phoenix_blaze77(at)hotmail.co.uk

I don't think this bit is correct anymore, as Alrisha is gone and I don't think Nikki is getting involved in the gate guard with her new character.

Asteria...Not Alrisha....But you're right about Nikki not getting involved with the gate anymore
Last edited by Dave_Glen on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darinus Shadefellow
Lions Master of Forensics
Alchemist Guildhouse Master (Lantia)
Alchemist Guild Librarian

Alrisha
Simba
Faction/Guild: Jackals
Group: Winterspear
IC Location: Ageyptus (Though not now cause insane Pharoah)
IC Name: Alrisha Neverwinter

Postby Alrisha » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 pm

You mean I can't run your gate!!! Aww Lions :p
IC: Alrisha Neverwinter.
High Priestess of the Temple of Osiris,
Lions "Consultant"
Winterspear

OC: Briege

Michael MacGreasai
Juvenile
Faction/Guild: Dragons
Group: Dragons of Ulster
IC Location: Fort Borealis, until the Erin Sea stops boiling.
IC Name: Mícheál Mac Greasaí

Postby Michael MacGreasai » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:39 pm

I don't know why you wouldn't be allowed run their gate... I mean, I have on a few occasions. Wait... I do know why you shouldn't.
Paladin of Danu, Dean of Diagnostics
The Mission in Team Secret Mission
No, you don't want to know what that last line means, it would spoil it.

Phoenix
Aslan
Faction/Guild: Mages
IC Location: Glued to a Master Mage
IC Name: Kimimela

Postby Phoenix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Lions Guard isnt just gate anyways, and nope I dont wanna do smelly gates :P you need to grab Ex Tynian or Hugh for lion guard stuffs
IC: Kimimela
Mage Guild Ambassador, Mages Guild Desk Angel, Phoenix Company Arcane Sergeant.
OOC: Nix

Return to “Guest forum - IC”