Completely new to larping

An OOC forum that our honoured guests have full access to, and visitors can read.
Tyrael Fordragon
Cub
Faction/Guild: None
Group: None
IC Name: Tyrael Fordragon

Completely new to larping

Postby Tyrael Fordragon » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:12 am

Good morning guys.

My names lewis and I'm from Bridgend, iv always wanted to take up larping but never really had the courage until this weekend when I had a couple of friends come over and really get me excited.

Iv come up with a character concept and even done his CS ( aswell as read the rule book 3 times now ) from what iv heard ( and read from your very helpful post for new players), he would love to be a lion ( if you would take him, but before I jump head first into a new world I would like to ask if I could come to one of your faction events and monster for you.

I think this would allow me to immerse myself into the world with out being in character, giving me a feel for the world and the people in it, aswell as giving me the player a chance to give it ago and see if it's something I like.

Please let me know what you think

Lewis.

McChuckles
Aslan
Faction/Guild: Lions
Group: The Crew of the El Toro
IC Location: Andulus
IC Name: Sherman

Re: Completely new to larping

Postby McChuckles » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:28 am

Morning and welcome :)

Monstering is a great way to break into the hobby, it'll give you some great fighting experience, and some insight into the rules and how things work. I don't think the next event has opened up it's bookings yet, but it all sounds like a great thing to me at the moment.

Hope to see you in the field.

Cheers

JK
Rhys ap Gwidion, King of the Dwarves, Thegn of Borthawr, Marshall of the Conquistadors of the El Toro.
Sherman for short.

Before November 2013 : Knight Captain Sir Henry Kane, Knight of Lantia
Between November 2013 and April 2015 : Drake DeStefano

OOC - The other JK...

Aija
Aslan
Group: Unknown
IC Location: Bimbling
IC Name: Aija

Postby Aija » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Hello! I think coming to monster is a marvellous idea, we have a very friendly and welcoming command and plot team who will take good care of you. Bookings will likely open after the february social event has closed, keep an eye open here and I'm sure chatter will start as soon as it's open...
IC: Aija, random bimbling Fae

OOC:
All posts April 2014 - Gathering 2017 as Nyanthi anla Yew
All posts Winter 2013 - April 2014 as Lanceman Jess Hawkes, Veterans Legion

All posts Gathering 2000 - Winter 2013 as Sir Sheyna Darkleaf, Knight of Lantia. Finally getting her happily ever afterlife with Lemming

Real life: Kaz Williams

Malcolm Krafter
Aslan
Group: People Of Lantia
IC Location: Tamarus
IC Name: Malcolm Krafter

Postby Malcolm Krafter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Monstering is a great way to meet the faction and have fun too. looking forward to seeing you at an event and roleplaying with you :)
Arcane Primus
Daemonslayer
Knight of Lantia
Warden of Pardulon
Posts pre gathering 2013 as Arden of The Monks Of Asteria

Briar-Rose
Simba
Faction/Guild: Archers Guild
Group: Command
IC Location: Rysarius or Verath
IC Name: Briar

Postby Briar-Rose » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,

My very first LARP event was a Lions sanctioned, and everyone was so sweet and welcoming I've never left! If you have any questions about rules, the game or the Lions in question, don't hesitate to ask someone; I'm yet to meet anyone who isn't happy to help.

See you in the spring

Jess
Master of The Archers Guild
Sirene of... somewhere...

Briar-Rose (May 2013 to Now)
Winter of the Monks of Asteria (August 2012- May 2013)

Tyrael Fordragon
Cub

Postby Tyrael Fordragon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 am

Thank you all for taking the time to say hi :)

I wish I could say the idea to try the system out by monstering ( not sure if that is the right word ) first was my idea but it wasn't :P

I have got one question already if you don't mind me asking, I have and proberly always will love playing a paladin ( wither it be wow , pathfinder or 5th edition) and I know that in loriens trust it's no easy task ( iv been told it takes years ). If I was able to keep my char alive long enough to reach that goal is something like this

http://www.stahlgilde.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=658

To over the top for the loriens setting???

I have him at the moment in my head starting as a nobody not even from the isles, but was wondering if that type of garb is to much for the setting ( it would be representing heavy armour )

violetamnesia
Leo
Faction/Guild: lions
Group: the company of the brave and foolish
IC Name: "The Damsel"

Postby violetamnesia » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 am

It wouldn't be outside the scope of the setting, no. Norton Armories do similar items and they trade at the mainline events. I would say work your way up to it though, especially don't buy it until you are sure about the hobby.

LARP is a active hobby as part of its nature, and so what you find fun in other games may not apply once you try it. Monstering will actually give you the best feel for this and you will likely get a range of things to fall over as, tanks, mages, skirmishers etc and you might find a diffrent aspect calls to you, or that wearing even light plate for a full weekend is too much.
Professional Damsel, enthusiastic inventor, commissions taken.

Posts before gathering 2014, Mistress Hollow

Tyrael Fordragon
Cub

Postby Tyrael Fordragon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:13 am

oh no i completely agree its something for him to get in years to come ( if he lives ).

McChuckles
Aslan
Group: The Crew of the El Toro
IC Location: Andulus
IC Name: Sherman

Postby McChuckles » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Norton haven't traded at a mainline in the last three years, but they do quality kit. They do take a long time to do anything though. There's another company called Wyrmwick if you're interested in plastic armour (and it looks great, lasts well and is above all light). They sell a fair bit on Ebay, and you should be able to more or less kit your guy out with quality kit. It's relatively expensive, so you can get some great deals by shopping around.

I'm liking this site you've linked though - some nice stuff there. If you want to fork out for kit like you've linked for your first character you can, but I'd do some monstering first and see if you like it. Armour resale values are not high, and you don't want to waste a load of money on great kit you have no use for.
Rhys ap Gwidion, King of the Dwarves, Thegn of Borthawr, Marshall of the Conquistadors of the El Toro.
Sherman for short.

Before November 2013 : Knight Captain Sir Henry Kane, Knight of Lantia
Between November 2013 and April 2015 : Drake DeStefano

OOC - The other JK...

noodle
Aslan
Group: The Accord
IC Name: Lin

Postby noodle » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:28 am

Monstering is a fantastic idea, I'm sure you'd love it.

I have another suggestion as well - assuming that you do have fun and decide to come join the Lions, email the plot team and ask for suggestions on the best way to make your character concept fit within both the wider game-world and within the Lions-specific setting. They'll be able to give you lots of advice, and if anything in your base story requires a little tweaking so it fits in better they can help with that too.

Hope to see you soon!

Noodle
OOC - Noodle/Niamh

(posts pre-Gathering '14: Elizabeth 'Libby' Carpenter)
(posts pre-Gathering '12: Neantog)

Lord Silver
Knight Spinner of the Accord
Lions High Diplomat
Trouble with a capital B.

Tyrael Fordragon
Cub

Postby Tyrael Fordragon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:24 pm

thanks noodle.

iv been reading up on all the lore you guys have up here as well as some on the lorien's trust website franticly trying to come up with a back story, with no idea there was a plot team i could ask and check with lol.

Return to “Guest forum - OOC”